Installing Electrical Appliances

« Back to Home

When It's Time to Change Your Electrical Wiring System

Posted on

Electrical malfunctions constitute about 40 per cent of fire incidents in Australia. However, a lot of these cases can be prevented with the application of different safety measures. The thing about electrical faults is that they may not be identified easily.

Most times, they can only be recognised during routine maintenance exercises. There are some signs you may come across that show your electrical wiring system needs fixing. If you experience any of these indicators, it might be time to contact a commercial electrician to stay clear of any hazards.  

A Burning Smell From Inside the Walls

If you find that there is a burning smell coming from within the walls of your office or residence, it would be best not to ignore it. This is mainly because such smells dictate that a fire is imminent. It would be a good idea to have a commercial electrician fix this problem before it gets out of hand.

Once you determine where the smell is coming from, the next step would be cutting off all power going through that section and disconnecting any appliances within reach. Most times, the burning smell is usually a result of a circuit overload or damaged wires in your electrical system.

Fuses and Circuit Breakers Tripping Regularly

The main job of fuses and circuit breakers is to shield your premises from the effects of circuit overload. Sometimes, the circuit may become overwhelmed by having more current passing through it than what is recommended. Breakers can be reused, but fuses have to be changed every time they trip.

If you find that your circuit breakers go off quite often, even without an overload, this could indicate a much more severe problem with your wiring system. It may be because of a short circuit occurring along the circuit path, in which case, you should have a commercial electrician take a look.  

Dim and Flickering Lights

Every time a circuit is overloaded, the lights tend to keep flickering now and then. The leading causes of overload result from having too many high-powered appliances running at the same time. This situation is not as dangerous but could be a source of concern if you find that the lights still flicker even after disconnecting your appliances.

It could be an indication that something is wrong with your electrical wiring system. If you come across such a scenario, it might help if you immediately sought the services of an electrical service that will eliminate the problem with a few technical procedures.